Little honey and pistachio cakes
- October 2011
- Makes 12
- Hand-on time 20 min, oven time 8-10 min
These easy honey and pistachio friands are an eat-me-anywhere treat: for breakfast with coffee, for afternoon tea, as an on-the-go snack or as a post-dinner sweet.
Or mix things up and go for our fig and pistachio friands instead.
- 8.3g (4g saturated)
- 10.4g (6.2g sugars)
- 75g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 40g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp clear honey (orange blossom is best), plus extra to serve
- 75g plain flour
- 40g pistachios, chopped, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Double cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease 12 x 25ml mini muffin tins. Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Using an electric hand mixer, whisk the eggs, caster sugar and honey for 6-7 minutes until the mixture is very thick. When lifted out, the beaters should leave a trail that sits on the surface for a few seconds.
- In batches, sift the flour on to the egg mixture and fold in gently. Carefully fold in the pistachios, orange zest and cooled melted butter.
- Fill the muffin tins with the mixture and bake for 8-10 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack. Serve with lightly whipped cream, a sprinkle of the pistachios and some drizzled honey.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Dinner party dessert recipes
James Martin’s cinnamon madeleines with spiced caramel sauce
Find out how to make madeleines with James Martin’s classic...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter