Fontina and cambozola on sourdough toasts with parma ham
- January 2018
- Serves 6.
- Hands-on time 30 min
Posh fontina cheese on toast topped with two types of cheese, parma ham, sweet roasted pears and crunchy hazelnuts. Serve as a starter or for lunch.
- 19.6g (6.9g saturated)
- 26.7g (7.7g sugars)
- 2-3 ripe pears, cut into wedges
- 75ml sweet wine (such as moscatel)
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- 1 tsp thick balsamic glaze
- 50g whole skin-on hazelnuts
- 6 slices crusty sourdough bread
- 100g cambozola cheese, sliced
- 100g fontina cheese, sliced
- 6 parma ham slices
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs, leaves picked
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the pears in a baking dish, then drizzle with the wine, olive oil and balsamic glaze. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 20 minutes until the pears are tender and the wine has reduced to a syrup.
- Meanwhile, put the hazelnuts on a small baking tray and bake for a few minutes to toast, then roughly chop.
- Heat the grill to medium-high and lightly toast the bread on a baking tray for a few minutes on each side. Top with slices of both cheeses and grill for a few minutes until melted. Once the cheese is golden and oozy, top with the roasted pears, a slice of parma ham and a drizzle of the roasting syrup, then scatter with the chopped nuts and oregano leaves. Serve straightaway.
In late summer this would work well with roasted figs or peaches instead of pears.
Roast the pears and nuts a few hours ahead and keep covered in a cool place.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sun-blush tomato, courgette and Fontina cheese frittata
This quick vegetable frittata recipe is a great low calorie supper.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...