French onion sausage casserole
- November 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 35 min
Bacon-wrapped sausages cooked in a sherry-laced, onion-rich sauce make this flavour-packed French onion sausage casserole a quick and easy weeknight winner.
Alternatively, try our hugely popular and ever so easy sausage casserole recipe.
- 46.3g fat (19g saturated)
- 34.7g protein
- 50.9g carbs (11.8g sugars)
- 10.9g fibre
- 4.7g salt
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 375g pack British outdoor-bred pork chipolatas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 25g butter
- 500g onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml medium dry or dry sherry, plus an extra splash
- 1 beef stock pot
- 3-4 bushy fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 8 large thin slices of fresh baguette or similar crusty bread
- 4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 125g gruyère or strong cheddar, grated
- Splash sherry vinegar
- Cut the bacon rashers in half, stretch each piece by running the back of a kitchen knife blade along it, then wrap one around each chipolata. Heat the oil in a medium hob-safe casserole, add the pigs in blankets and brown over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add a splash more oil if needed, along with the butter, then add the onions and a plenty of salt and black pepper. Fry gently for 5-6 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the garlic, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onions have softened and turned deep brown.
- Stir the flour into the onions, then cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the sherry, stock pot and 500ml hot water from a just-boiled kettle. Stir to combine, then add the browned pigs in blankets and the thyme. Simmer on a low-medium heat for 20 minutes until rich, thick and saucy.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Toast the baguette slices on each side. Spread with the mustard, then scatter with the grated cheese. Cook under the hot grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling and golden. Stir a splash more sherry and the sherry vinegar into the casserole, season to taste, then serve with the cheese toasts, extra thyme leaves and some greens, if you like.
Easy swap: This recipe works well with veggie sausages, too – just brown briefly as in step 1, set aside, then add to the casserole as in step 3.
The casserole can be made 1-2 days ahead and reheated in a pan or microwave. Make the toasts just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Farmhouse chicken casserole with carrots, leeks and potato
This creamy chicken casserole is made with potatoes, carrots, leeks and fresh herbs for a...
Chicken casserole recipes
Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of...