French onion sausage casserole
- November 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 35 min
Bacon-wrapped sausages cooked in a sherry-laced, onion-rich sauce make this flavour-packed French onion sausage casserole a quick and easy weeknight winner.
Alternatively, try our hugely popular and ever so easy sausage casserole recipe.
- 46.3g fat (19g saturated)
- 34.7g protein
- 50.9g carbs (11.8g sugars)
- 10.9g fibre
- 4.7g salt
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 375g pack British outdoor-bred pork chipolatas
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 25g butter
- 500g onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 100ml medium dry or dry sherry, plus an extra splash
- 1 beef stock pot
- 3-4 bushy fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra leaves to garnish
- 8 large thin slices of fresh baguette or similar crusty bread
- 4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 125g gruyère or strong cheddar, grated
- Splash sherry vinegar
- Cut the bacon rashers in half, stretch each piece by running the back of a kitchen knife blade along it, then wrap one around each chipolata. Heat the oil in a medium hob-safe casserole, add the pigs in blankets and brown over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add a splash more oil if needed, along with the butter, then add the onions and a plenty of salt and black pepper. Fry gently for 5-6 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the garlic, then cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onions have softened and turned deep brown.
- Stir the flour into the onions, then cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the sherry, stock pot and 500ml hot water from a just-boiled kettle. Stir to combine, then add the browned pigs in blankets and the thyme. Simmer on a low-medium heat for 20 minutes until rich, thick and saucy.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Toast the baguette slices on each side. Spread with the mustard, then scatter with the grated cheese. Cook under the hot grill for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is bubbling and golden. Stir a splash more sherry and the sherry vinegar into the casserole, season to taste, then serve with the cheese toasts, extra thyme leaves and some greens, if you like.
Easy swap: This recipe works well with veggie sausages, too – just brown briefly as in step 1, set aside, then add to the casserole as in step 3.
The casserole can be made 1-2 days ahead and reheated in a pan or microwave. Make the toasts just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter