Gingerbread pancakes with bacon and maple syrup
- November 2023
- Serves 2-4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus 20 min resting
Salty streaky bacon, sweet maple syrup and fluffy gingerbread pancakes… what could make for a more festive breakfast?
Dish up these delicious vegan blueberry pancakes for any plant-based family members.
- 21g (8.7g saturated)
- 39g (5.8g sugars)
- 180g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 220ml whole milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large free-range egg
- 12 outdoor-reared streaky bacon rashers
- Dash vegetable oil
- Maple syrup to serve
- Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger, mixed spice and a pinch of salt in a bowl, then make a well in the centre. Pour in the milk and melted butter, crack in the egg, then whisk thoroughly until you have a nice smooth batter. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to low and the grill to medium. Cook the streaky bacon rashers under the grill until crisp (or however you like them).
- Put a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and drizzle with a little vegetable oil. Add a large tablespoon of the pancake batter and use the back of the spoon to spread into a neat circle. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until nicely browned on the underside, then flip over and cook for another minute. Keep on a tray in a low oven to keep warm while you cook the rest in batches.
- Serve the pancakes stacked and topped with crispy bacon and a drizzle of maple syrup.
The resting time isn’t essential if you want your pancakes in a hurry. However, the rest allows the gluten in the flour to relax (after the whisking), resulting in fluffier pancakes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter