Granny’s roast potatoes
- December 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 5 minutes to make and 1 hour to cook
Rachel Allen’s roast potatoes recipe is one her granny taught her and it ensures perfect roast potatoes each time.
- 9.8g (1.3g saturated)
- 56.7g (2.9g sugar)
- 2kg large floury potatoes, such as King Edward, quartered
- 75ml olive oil or 75g beef dripping or goose fat
- Fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Drop the potatoes into a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and shake the potatoes in the dry saucepan with the lid on to rough up the edges so the potatoes crisp up well in the oven.
- Heat the oil or fat in a roasting tray on the hob. When hot, toss the potatoes in the fat, coating well. Sprinkle with sea salt and put in the oven with the turkey (at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4) for 30 minutes, spooning over the hot oil every now and then.
- When you remove the turkey to rest, increase the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and roast for a further 30 minutes until golden and crispy. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
You can parboil the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes, then drain well. Put in a freezerproof container and freeze for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
These roasties are a little different in that the potatoes are baked in their skins...
Roasted smashed garlic and rosemary potatoes
Take your Sunday lunch side dish up a notch – these best ever roast potatoes...