Granny’s roast potatoes
- December 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 5 minutes to make and 1 hour to cook
Rachel Allen’s roast potatoes recipe is one her granny taught her and it ensures perfect roast potatoes each time.
- 9.8g (1.3g saturated)
- 56.7g (2.9g sugar)
- 2kg large floury potatoes, such as King Edward, quartered
- 75ml olive oil or 75g beef dripping or goose fat
- Fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Drop the potatoes into a large pan of boiling salted water and cook for 6 minutes. Drain and shake the potatoes in the dry saucepan with the lid on to rough up the edges so the potatoes crisp up well in the oven.
- Heat the oil or fat in a roasting tray on the hob. When hot, toss the potatoes in the fat, coating well. Sprinkle with sea salt and put in the oven with the turkey (at 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4) for 30 minutes, spooning over the hot oil every now and then.
- When you remove the turkey to rest, increase the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and roast for a further 30 minutes until golden and crispy. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
You can parboil the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 6 minutes, then drain well. Put in a freezerproof container and freeze for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
These roasties are a little different in that the potatoes are baked in their skins...
Roasted smashed garlic and rosemary potatoes
Take your Sunday lunch side dish up a notch – these best ever roast potatoes...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...