Green gazpacho soup with asparagus
- June 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 35 min to make, plus cooling and chilling
Gazpacho is a Spanish recipe for chilled soup, using all kinds of healthy vegetables. This version uses asparagus and cucumber for a refreshing warm-weather dish.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12.3g (1.8g saturated)
- 16.6g (4.3g sugar)
- 500g asparagus, trimmed (or wild asparagus or hop shoots, if possible)
- 100g stale white rustic bread, diced
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1 cucumber, peeled and deseeded
- 2 garlic cloves
- Bring 1 litre water to the boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. Meanwhile, cut the asparagus in half, separating the stalks and spears. Cook the spears for 11/2-2 minutes, until just tender. Lift out with a slotted spoon, drain and refresh under cold water. Set aside.
- Bring the water to a simmer and cook the stalks gently for 10 minutes, until very tender. Remove from the heat and cool in the cooking liquid.
- Pop the bread into a bowl with the oil and vinegar. Add half the cooking liquid and let the bread soak it up for 5 minutes. Dice the cucumber and garlic and add to the bowl.
- Put the rest of the cooking liquid and stalks in a blender and blitz to a soup. Strain, discarding the pulp.
- Add the soaked bread, cucumber and garlic to a blender and whizz until smooth. Whizz in soup until you reach the consistency you want. Season and chill.
- Divide between bowls, drizzle with a little oil and serve with the spears.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...