- August 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Minimal effort in the kitchen is required to enjoy classic gazpacho, the chilled tomato soup. On the table and ready to eat in less than 15 minutes – it’s perfect for those warm summer nights. Serve with a good hunk of crusty bread.
Plan an al fresco feast with more summer starter recipes.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 25.5g (2.9g saturated)
- 8.8g (7.9g sugars)
- trace salt
- 4 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 2 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 80g blanched almonds
- 700g mixed tomatoes, roughly chopped, plus extra, sliced, to serve
- 1/2 cucumber, roughly chopped, plus extra slices to serve
- 1/2 large red pepper, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced, plus extra to serve
- A few fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- Crusty bread to serve
- Put the sherry vinegar, olive oil, garlic, almonds, tomatoes, cucumber, red pepper, spring onions and basil in a blender with 100ml cold water. Blend until smooth, then taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into bowls, then garnish with tomato and cucumber slices, chopped red pepper, chopped spring onions and basil leaves. Drizzle over a little more extra-virgin olive oil and serve with good bread on the side to dunk.
We’ve used almonds to thicken the soup, but you could whizz in a couple of slices of good quality bread (step 1) instead.
This is best eaten straightaway, but any leftovers will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 days. Add the garnish just before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Bloody Mary gazpacho with fresh oysters
If you like the spicy, tangy flavours of a Bloody Mary cocktail, you’re going to...
José Pizarro’s carajamandanga (chilled tomato soup)
Chef José Pizarro shares his recipe for carajamandanga, a chilled tomato, pepper and courgette soup...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...