Griddled asparagus with sauce gribiche on toast
- May 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Sauce gribiche, a mayonnaise with herbs, capers and cornichons, works beautifully with the asparagus in this seasonal starter (or lunch) recipe.
- 23.8g (3.9g saturated)
- 22.3g (3.2g sugars)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sugar
- 100ml light olive oil
- Large handful of fresh chervil
- Small handful of fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp rinsed and chopped capers
- 2 tbsp rinsed and chopped cornichons
- 20 asparagus spears
- Olive oil
- 4 sourdough slices
- Parmesan, or vegetarian alternative, shavings
- Boil the eggs for 8 minutes. Drain, then cool under running water. Crush the garlic, then whisk in a small bowl with the vinegar and mustard. Season well and add sugar. Shell the eggs and separate the yolks and whites. Mash the yolks into the sauce, then whisk in the light oil until emulsified. Chop the chervil and tarragon, then stir into the sauce along with the capers and cornichons. Chop the egg whites and stir them in, then loosen with a splash of water if required.
- Meanwhile trim the asparagus. Put a griddle pan over a high heat. Toss the spears in a little olive oil, then griddle for 3-4 minutes, turning, until tender and slightly charred. Season well. Toast the sourdough and drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve with the sauce gribiche and asparagus. Scatter with the parmesan shavings, if you like, then serve.
Rate & review