Hampstead Garden Suburb chicken
- Online only
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15, oven time 1 hour, plus overnight marinating
Anne Shooter’s Hampstead Garden Suburb chicken is a variant on a dish called Chicken Marbella, made famous by a 1970s New York food shop called The Silver Spoon. Named after an area that Anne lived in, and inspired by a time in her life where she’d always serve this meal.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 1 chicken, jointed into 8 pieces, or 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 2 red onions, sliced into rings
- 1 lemon, sliced into thin rings
- 100g capers (the kind that come in brine), drained
- 20 pitted prunes
- 150g pitted green olives, with 2 tbsp their brine
- 30ml red wine vinegar
- 30ml olive oil
- 60ml white wine
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into 3 pieces 60g soft light brown sugar
- Small handful each of chopped at-leaf parsley and coriander
- Place the chicken, onions and lemon slices into a large bowl. Scatter over the capers, prunes and olives.
- Mix together the olive brine, vinegar, olive oil, white wine, coriander seeds and crushed garlic. Pour the mixture over the chicken and mix everything around well. Add the bay leaves, scatter with oregano and place the cinnamon stick pieces among the chicken. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight (or for at least 4 hours if preparing the same day).
- When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Tip the chicken, juices and marinade ingredients into a roasting tray and arrange in a single layer with all the marinade ingredients evenly scattered around the chicken pieces.
- Sprinkle over the brown sugar. Roast for 1 hour, basting the chicken with the pan juices halfway through cooking.
- Scatter with chopped parsley and coriander before serving with couscous or rice.
This recipe is from Anne Shooter’s book Cherish (£28, Headline).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Butternut squash, chickpea and blue cheese pancakes
Make pancakes into a savoury, vegetarian dinner recipe with butternut squash, chickpeas and blue cheese....