Heritage beetroot and candied walnut salad
- November 2015
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus marinating
A feast for the eyes as well as the palate. This heritage beetroot and candied walnut salad is full of earthy, tangy and sweet flavours.
Browse more filling salad recipes, including plenty of vegetarian ideas.
- 20.5g (5.6g saturated)
- 31.7g (31.1g sugars)
- 8 small heritage beetroot (see Know-how and tip)
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 120g ash-coated goat’s cheese
- 80g watercress
- 2 eating apples
For the candied walnuts
- 100g caster sugar
- 50g toasted walnuts, chopped
For the marinade
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 20g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 orange, juice ½
- 15g grated fresh ginger
- Put all the marinade ingredients in a jug and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Peel the beetroot, then slice as thinly as possible into rounds using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Lay in a shallow dish (see tip) and pour over the marinade. Leave for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, make the candied walnuts. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Put the 100g sugar in a small non-stick frying pan and cook over a medium heat, swirling, until a caramel forms. Add the walnuts and swirl to coat. Tip out onto the lined baking sheet and allow to cool completely, then break into small pieces with a rolling pin.
If using different coloured beetroot, jeep them separate once sliced so the colours don’t bleed into each other.
Make the candied walnuts up to 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container.
As well as the usual purple variety, beetroot comes in heritage varieties that include golden, candy-striped (also called chioggia) and white. They’re available from good grocers and larger supermarkets. If you can’t find them, just use purple beetroot – the salad will still be pretty.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas starter recipes
Fried hog’s pudding with apple sauce and kohlrabi slaw
This British recipe is made using delicious. Produce Awards 2017 winner, Primrose Herd’s, Cornish hog’s...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...