Hot and sour chicken soup
- September 2018
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 20 min
A nourishing Asian soup that’s just the tonic for a fast day, or to kick-start a healthy eating week.
Looking for something else? We have lots more recipes for 1 person for you to try.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 5.1g (1.2g saturated
- 12g (7g sugars)
- 500ml fresh chicken or veg stock
- Handful fresh coriander, leaves picked, stalks roughly chopped
- 1 fresh lime leaf, torn
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, outer leaves discarded, cut in half and bruised in a pestle and mortar
- 50g shiitake or chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 95g cooked chicken breast, shredded with 2 forks into chunky strands
- 80g green beans, halved
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Handful (about 10g) beansprouts, rinsed in cold water
- Fresh Thai basil leaves (or regular basil) to garnish (optional)
- Put the stock, coriander stalks, lime leaf, ginger, half the chilli and the lemongrass in a small pan. Heat over a low-medium heat to infuse. Add the mushrooms, chicken and beans, turn up the heat, then bring to a simmer to warm the chicken.
- Add the rice vinegar, lime zest and juice and fish sauce, then taste and adjust the saltiness/sourness to your palate. Serve in a big bowl, garnished with the coriander leaves, remaining chilli, beansprouts and fresh basil (if using), with lime wedges on the side.
To make vegetarian, swap the chicken with tofu, leave out the fish sauce and use vegetable stock. Add salt to taste.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...