Hot and sour prawn soup with basmati rice
- March 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
A quick but full-of-flavour midweek meal – a spicy, warming soup recipe with basmati rice – that’s ready in 30 minutes.
Prefer chicken? Try this hot and sour chicken soup that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
- 17.4g (6.7g saturated)
- 65.9g (24.8g sugars)
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, crushed
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 2.5cm fresh galangal (or ginger)
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tom yum paste
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 200g basmati rice
- 400g raw organic king prawns, peeled
- 8 baby pak choi, halved
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 limes, quartered
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pan with the lemongrass stalk, kaffir lime leaves, fresh galangal or ginger, red chillies, tom yum paste, palm sugar and fish sauce.
- Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes. Add the prawns and pak choi and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and a large handful of chopped fresh coriander then serve with lime wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot and sour prawn soup
This fragrant broth is the most famous of Thai soups. Lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves...