Hot and sour prawn soup with basmati rice
- March 2013
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
A quick but full-of-flavour midweek meal – a spicy, warming soup recipe with basmati rice – that’s ready in 30 minutes.
Prefer chicken? Try this hot and sour chicken soup that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
- 17.4g (6.7g saturated)
- 65.9g (24.8g sugars)
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, crushed
- 2-3 kaffir lime leaves, optional
- 2.5cm fresh galangal (or ginger)
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp tom yum paste
- 1 tbsp palm sugar or soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 200g basmati rice
- 400g raw organic king prawns, peeled
- 8 baby pak choi, halved
- Handful of chopped fresh coriander
- 2 limes, quartered
- Heat the chicken stock in a large pan with the lemongrass stalk, kaffir lime leaves, fresh galangal or ginger, red chillies, tom yum paste, palm sugar and fish sauce.
- Add the rice and cook for 8 minutes. Add the prawns and pak choi and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lime juice and a large handful of chopped fresh coriander then serve with lime wedges.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot and sour prawn soup
This fragrant broth is the most famous of Thai soups. Lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...