Istanbul-style fish sandwiches
- July 2022
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 min
Istanbul-style fish sandwiches (balik ekmek) make a delicious 15-minute dinner. This popular Turkish street food is typically made with grilled mackerel.
Need a feed in a hurry? Check out more easy 15-minute meals.
- 34g (8.1g saturated)
- 46.3g (10g sugars)
- 2 mackerel fillets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- 2 ciabatta rolls
- 1 little gem lettuce
For the pickled onions
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pinch sugar
For the dill yogurt
- 4 tbsp thick greek yogurt
- Small bunch dill, roughly chopped
- Pinch sumac
- Prepare the barbecue for direct heat (for cooking right over the coals; or see alternative cooking instructions above). Mix the onion with the vinegar and sugar in a small non-metal bowl and set aside. In a separate small bowl, mix the dill yogurt ingredients together and season.
- Rub the mackerel with half the oil and the lemon zest, then season. Barbecue skin-side down for 5-7 minutes until cooked through and the skin is crisp, then transfer to a greased baking tray, skin-side up. Split the ciabatta rolls and toast the cut sides on the barbecue for 1-2 minutes until a little charred and warmed through.
- Drizzle the lettuce with the remaining oil and the lemon juice, then season. Spread the yogurt on the rolls, then top with the lettuce, mackerel and drained pickled onions.
No barbecue? Cook the mackerel skin-side up under a hot grill for 5 minutes until the skin is charred and crisp and the flesh is cooked through.
Easy swaps: This sandwich (balik ekmek) traditionally uses mackerel, but you could swap for another oily fish such as rainbow trout or sardines.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Delicious recipes for one person
Grilled mackerel with tomato and preserved lemon salad
Get your oily fish quota in this quick, zingy dish,...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...