Italian torrone parfait
- January 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus freezing
This Italian torrone recipe is filled with delicious pistachios and cranberries. It’s a festive dessert perfect for Christmas or New Year’s Day.
You might also like our Baileys and hazelnut parfaits.
- 44.5g (24.5g saturated)
- 36.5g (34.5g sugars)
- 500ml double cream
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 50g caster sugar
- 200g hard Italian torrone, smashed into small pieces
- 2 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 25g pistachio kernels, chopped
- 50g dried cranberries, chopped
- Heat 250ml of the cream in a saucepan until just boiling. Meanwhile, put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric whisk for 5 minutes until pale and thick. Pour over the hot cream and whisk until the mixture forms a custard.
- Put the bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not allow the water to touch the base) and heat gently, stirring, until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat and set aside until completely cold. (To speed up the cooling process, sit the bowl in a larger bowl of iced water.)
- When cold, stir in the torrone, liqueur, orange zest, pistachios and cranberries.
- Line a 1.5 litre loaf tin with cling film. In separate bowls, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then the remaining cream until thickened. Fold the egg whites, followed by the cream, into the cooled custard until evenly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, then freeze for 2 hours. Remove it from the freezer, give it a good stir, then freeze for 6 hours.
- Before serving, transfer to the fridge for 20 minutes to soften a little.
You can buy torrone at Carluccio’s (carluccios.com).
PLEASE NOTE: contains raw egg.
Torrone (also known as nougat) is often served at Christmas. It’s made from honey, egg whites, vanilla and hazelnuts or almonds and is available soft or hard.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...