Jackfruit pasta bake
- October 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 25 min
Fancy a change to your usual pasta bake? This vegan recipe features jackfruit, a wonderful ingredient for vegan and veggie cooks. The firm texture packs in plenty of fibre, making it an excellent meat substitute.
Looking for more meat-free pasta bakes? This cauliflower cheese pasta bake ticks all the boxes.
- Vegan recipes
- 300g dried pasta (check it’s egg free; we used conchiglie)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 mixed peppers, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp fajita spice mix
- 400g tin jackfruit, drained and rinsed (from large supermarkets)
- 197g tin sweetcorn, drained
- 680g tomato passata
- 2 handfuls vegan tortilla chips
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1-2 fresh jalapeños, sliced (or use pickled, if you prefer)
- Juice 1-2 limes or wedges to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Cook the pasta until al dente (still with a touch of firmness) according to the pack instructions, drain, then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a flameproof baking dish or deep, ovenproof saucepan. Fry the onion and peppers for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the spice mix and cook for 1 minute more.
- Shred the jackfruit into chunks using 2 forks, then add to the dish/pan with the sweetcorn and passata. Stir until the sauce
is piping hot, then stir in the drained pasta to coat (see tip).
- Crumble over the tortilla chips, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Top with the sliced avocados and jalapeños, then sprinkle with the lime juice or serve with wedges.
If you prefer, pile the jackfruit sauce into warmed taco shells and serve with fresh chopped salad and coriander.
Rate & review