Jersey royal, smoked cheddar and spring onion cakes
- April 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25
Can you make potato cakes with jersey royals? Yes, yes you can. Make the most of April’s seasonal star, with this potato, smoked cheddar and spring onion cake recipe. Serve with seasonal rocket or watercress.
- 24.3g (10g saturated)
- 36.7g (4.8g sugars)
- 800g jersey royal potatoes
- 150g smoked cheddar or vegetarian alternative
- Generous knob of butter
- 2 heaped tsp English mustard
- Bunch of spring onions
- Seasoned plain flour for dusting
- Good splash of olive oil
- Chopped walnuts and crisp leaves to serve
- Peel the potatoes, cutting any large ones in half. Put in a pan of lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until completely tender, then drain and return to a low heat to steam dry.
- Grate the cheddar or vegetarian alternative into the potato with a good knob of butter and 2 heaped tsp English mustard, then pass through a ricer or push through a metal sieve with the back of a spoon. Season generously. Trim and finely chop a bunch of spring onions, then stir through. When the mash has cooled slightly, shape into 8 small cakes, then dust lightly in the seasoned plain flour.
- Heat a good splash of olive oil in a pan and fry the cakes for 5 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp, though soft in the centre, flipping over carefully with a fish slice or palette knife. Fry in batches with extra oil if necessary. Serve with a salad of chopped walnuts and crisp leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter