Chicken and kimchi stew
- December 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 45 min
Easy to prepare and full of flavour, this Korean-style chicken and kimchi stew simmers low and slow on the hob until rich and meltingly tender. (Psst – it tastes even better if made a day or two ahead.)
Or, dial down the spice with this speedy Saffron chicken stew.
- 10.5g fat (1.8g saturated)
- 26.2g protein
- 26g carbs (21.9g sugars)
- 5.6g fibre
- 3.5g salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 8 free-range skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 large celery stick, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 x 215g jars kimchi (we used Yukata Korean Kimchi)
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- Gochugaru (see Know-how) or regular chilli flakes for sprinkling
- Rice or noodles to serve
- Heat a splash of oil in a medium hob-safe casserole over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until starting to brown (3-4 minutes). Add the onions, celery, garlic and ginger to the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, stirring, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add most of both jars of kimchi (reserve the remaining kimchi to serve with the stew later), the chicken stock, soy sauce and sesame oil. Bring to a fast simmer, then partially cover, turn down the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the sauce is rich.
- Check the seasoning, then sprinkle over the sesame seeds, spring onions and chilli flakes. Serve in warmed bowls with rice or noodles and extra kimchi on the side.
Make the stew up to 1-2 days ahead. Cool, then chill and reheat until piping hot.
Gochugaru are chilli flakes with a sweet, smoky taste, used to flavour kimchi.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Simmer our chicken casseroles, stews and tagines over...
One-pot chicken recipes
One-pot chicken recipes mean less clean-up time for...
Midweek meal recipes
Worked late? Need something not too challenging? Our...
Easy dinner ideas
Make satisfying meals with these quick and easy...