Make-ahead treacle tart
- February 2012
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook, plus chilling
Treacle tart is a British classic pudding and this classic recipe is made all the more brilliant because you can make it in advance and freeze until needed
- 8.9g (5g saturated)
- 65g (43g sugars)
For the pastry
- 250g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 120g unsalted butter, chilled and chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- Iced water
For the filling
- 450ml golden syrup
- Good pinch of ground ginger
- 110g fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large free-range egg, whisked
- Grated zest and juice of _ large lemon
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl or food processor. Add the chopped butter, then work in with your fingertips or pulse to the texture of fine breadcrumbs. Stir through the lemon zest. Quickly mix through the egg yolk, adding iced water (1-2 tbsp) until the dough just comes together. Knead briefly until smooth, then shape into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to about the thickness of a 50p piece and so it fits a ?23cm x 2cm loose-bottomed, fluted round tart tin. Prick the base all over with a fork and chill in the fridge for a further 30 minutes. Preheat a baking sheet in the oven to 200ÁC/fan180ÁC/gas 6. Line the tin with baking paper and baking beans or rice, then blind bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Remove the paper and beans/rice and?return to the oven for 5 minutes or until golden. Reduce the oven to 180ÁC/fan160ÁC/gas 4.
- For the filling, spoon the syrup into a saucepan, add the ginger and gently warm through. Stir through the breadcrumbs, egg, lemon zest and juice, mixing well. Pour into the pastry case. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and almost set. Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm with double or clotted cream.
To freeze: let the finished tart cool, wrap well in cling film, then foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until hot.
If you don’t want to make pastry, use a block of good quality all-butter shortcrust pastry instead. Roll it out to the size you need and continue with the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Make-ahead dessert recipes
Baked lemon curd syrup sponges with brandy custard
We’ve given these dainty sponges a little grown-up treatment with a slug of brandy, a...