Pecan treacle tart
- November 2006
- 350g ready-made shortcrust pastry
- 1 apple
- 200g whole pecans
- 50g butter, melted
- 350g golden syrup, plus 2 tbsp for drizzling
- 150g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Thinly roll out the pastry and use to line a 23cm round, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin. Chill for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Fill the pastry with baking paper and baking beans. Bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes, until pale golden.
- Peel, core and grate the apple. Finely chop half the pecans. In a bowl, mix the butter, golden syrup, breadcrumbs, lemon zest and juice, grated apple and chopped pecans. Spoon into the pastry case, arrange the remaining whole pecans on top and bake for 40 minutes. Cool a little.
- Slice, drizzle with the extra golden syrup and and serve with a spoonful of clotted cream, if you like.
If you have a sweet tooth, use sweet shortcrust pastry instead of plain shortcrust pastry.
Rate & review