- June 2023
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 1 hour, plus cooling time
“This dessert takes the main elements of a classic tiramisu – mascarpone, boozy zabaglione and sponge fingers – but swaps out the coffee for sweet mangoes instead. It is rich, creamy, lethally delicious yet still light as a feather. It is all the sweet rapture of summer in a bowl.”
Recipe taken from Comfort and Joy by Ravinder Bhogal (Bloomsbury).
- 45g (30g saturated)
- 69g (59g sugars)
- 500g mascarpone cheese
- 250g crème fraîche
- Grated zest 2 limes
- 2 free-range egg whites
- 200g packet savoiardi biscuits or sponge fingers
- 6 ripe mangoes such as alphonso or kesar, peeled and sliced
- Pulp from 6 passion fruits
For the Thai basil sugar
- 30g unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted
- Grated zest 2 limes
- Bunch Thai basil leaves
- 100g caster sugar
For the mango syrup
- 125ml mango juice
- 40ml rum
- Juice 1 lime
For the zabaglione
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 50g caster sugar
- 25ml dark rum
- Make the thai basil sugar by whizzing all the ingredients in a food processor until you have a vibrantly green coarse sugar. Set aside until required.
- To make the mango syrup, mix the mango juice, rum and lime juice and heat gently in a small saucepan over low heat until it comes to a simmer, then set aside.
- To make the zabaglione, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, rum and 1 tbsp of water in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale and thick (making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl), then set aside to cool. Whisk the mascarpone, crème fraîche and lime zest together to combine, then gently stir into the zabaglione. Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl till soft peaks form (when you lift the beaters out the tips of the peaks will flop over), then fold them into the mascarpone mixture.
- To assemble, briefly dip half the savoiardi in the mango syrup and arrange in a 25cm serving dish. Spoon over half the mascarpone mixture, then layer over half the sliced mangoes and half the passion fruit pulp. Follow with the remaining savoiardi, dipped in syrup, the mangoes and passion fruit pulp and finally dollop over the remaining mascarpone mixture and smooth the surface. Refrigerate for 4–6 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the Thai basil sugar over the surface.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter