Manon Lagrève’s beignets
- September 2023
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min
You can’t beat a doughnut, and French beignets are a great version! We love this recipe from Manon Lagrève, which creates a treat that is like a cross between an apple fritter and a doughnut.
The simplicity of the recipe is hugely appealing: “Une poignée de farine par oeuf et du lait” – a handful of flour for each egg and some milk – is the recipe my Mamie Suzanne gave to me when I asked her how she made her beignets,” says Manon Lagrève. “I had to try it a couple of times to get it right. We sometimes had a beignets evening at Mamie’s, when the only thing we ate were these apples wrapped in a light, deep-fried dough.”
Recipe taken from Et Voila: A Simple French Baking Love Story by Manon Lagrève (OH Editions, £22) and tested by delicious.
- 8.7g (2g saturated)
- 75g (50g sugars)
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 4 tsp caster sugar
- 120g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp rum, calvados or amaretto
- 1 litre vegetable oil to deep-fry
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced into rounds
- 100g icing sugar
Useful to have
- Digital probe thermometer
- To make the beignet batter, separate the eggs into 2 clean mixing bowls. Add the sugar to the yolks and whisk well, then add the flour, baking powder, milk and alcohol, and whisk again into a smooth batter.
- Pour the oil into a large deep saucepan or wok and heat to 150-170°C. Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks, then gently fold them into the batter.
- Use a fork to dip apple slices into the batter, then carefully add to the oil, frying on each side for 2 minutes until they get that nice brown colour. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Manon’s tip: “Mamie told me to say that she whips the egg whites and adds them to the batter just before deep frying, so the batter is fresh.”
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet pancake recipes
Banana, peanut butter and chocolate pancake fritters
Try pancakes stuffed with banana, peanut butter and chocolate and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter