Meatballs in tomato sauce
- February 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35 min
Discover our simple, comforting Italian recipe for pork mince meatballs in tomato sauce. Serve with polenta instead of the usual spaghetti.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 24.1g (6.6g saturated)
- 18.4g (10.1g sugars)
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 500g pork mince (choose British free-range)
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 large free-range egg
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 x 400g tinned tomatoes (mix of chopped and whole)
- Polenta, steamed cabbage and parmesan shavings
- Heat the oven to 180°C/ fan160°C/gas 4. Finely chop the rosemary and put in a large bowl. Add the mince, fennel seeds, zest, egg, breadcrumbs, and some salt and pepper. Mix well, then roll into 12 equal balls and chill.
- Finely chop the onion. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large ovenproof pan with a lid, then gently fry the onion for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato purée, cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and some salt and pepper. Bubble for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- In a large frying pan, brown the meatballs in the rest of the oil, then add to the sauce. Cover and put in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, then bake for 15 minutes more or until the sauce is thick.
- Serve with wilted cabbage, polenta and parmesan shavings, if you like.
If your tomato sauce is a little sharp, add 1 tsp sugar to balance it. Chilli flakes will give the meatballs a kick.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Meatballs with creamy polenta
Super comforting and easy to prepare, meatballs and creamy polenta are a great family meal....