Mormor’s curried fish soup
- March 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min
”For a lighter soup, you could use milk instead of cream (in step 2) and also add a dollop of crème fraîche.” – Steffi Knowles-Dellner
- 21g (7.5g saturated)
- 6.9g (5.3g sugars)
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 litre fish or vegetable stock
- 300g thick sustainable cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 300g sustainable salmon, cut into chunks
- 150g cooked, peeled, sustainable Atlantic prawns, defrosted if frozen
- 250ml single cream
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 small bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Chunky bread to serve
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the onions and cook over a gentle heat for 5 minutes, without colouring. Add the leek and cook for another few minutes until softened, then add the garlic. Stir in 1 tsp of the curry powder and fry for another minute or so until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock, increase the heat to bring it to the boil, then turn down the heat again – it should be barely simmering. Add the cod and salmon and poach for 5-8 minutes, then add the prawns and cook for 3 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan and add the remaining curry powder. Fry for 1 minute or so until smoky and aromatic, then remove from the heat and pour into a bowl (see Make Ahead).
- Divide the soup among 4 bowls, drizzle over a little curry oil and sprinkle with the chopped herbs. Serve with chunky bread, if you like.
Follow the recipe until the fish stock has been added (step 2) but not the fish, then allow to cool and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Bring back to a gentle simmer to finish the recipe. Make the curry oil up to 24 hours in advance and keep covered.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...