Mushrooms on toast
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 min
Great for a light supper or lunch or even a lazy brunch, this vegetarian dish makes the most of the earthy, meaty flavours of wild mushrooms.
- 41.8g (23.6g saturated)
- 22.1g (2.4g sugar)
- 150g butter
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 banana shallots or 4 regular
- shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g mixed wild mushrooms (chanterelles, ceps, wood blewitts, oyster, field mushrooms etc), trimmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4 free-range fried or poached eggs, to serve
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bread slices and fry for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly browned. remove and keep warm.
- Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and sauté the shallots and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes. season well, remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and chopped fresh herbs.
- Serve the mushrooms on the sourdough bread, top with fried or poached eggs and serve immediately, drizzling with any pan juices.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Delicious recipes for one person
Cider and thyme mushrooms on toast with a poached egg
This mushroom recipe is a beautifully simple yet absolutely scrumptious meal idea for one person....