Mushrooms on toast
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 15 min
Great for a light supper or lunch or even a lazy brunch, this vegetarian dish makes the most of the earthy, meaty flavours of wild mushrooms.
- 41.8g (23.6g saturated)
- 22.1g (2.4g sugar)
- 150g butter
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 banana shallots or 4 regular
- shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g mixed wild mushrooms (chanterelles, ceps, wood blewitts, oyster, field mushrooms etc), trimmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4 free-range fried or poached eggs, to serve
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the bread slices and fry for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly browned. remove and keep warm.
- Add the remaining butter to the frying pan and sauté the shallots and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes. season well, remove from the heat and stir in the crème fraîche and chopped fresh herbs.
- Serve the mushrooms on the sourdough bread, top with fried or poached eggs and serve immediately, drizzling with any pan juices.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Delicious recipes for one person
Cider and thyme mushrooms on toast with a poached egg
This mushroom recipe is a beautifully simple yet absolutely scrumptious meal idea for one person....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...