Olive and rosemary focaccia
- December 2009
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus proving, cooling and reheating
This olive and rosemary focaccia recipe is the perfect bread to make and pull out of the freezer when you’re entertaining.
Or, if you’re not sure about this one, we’ve got an excellent spring onion focaccia bread too.
- 8g (1.2g saturated)
- 40.1g (2.1g sugar)
- 500g strong plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp salt
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- for greasing
- 2 x 7g sachets fast-action dried yeast
- 80g semi-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 150g mixed olives, pitted
- Small handful fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Mix the flour, salt and sugar in a large bowl, and make a well in the centre. Pour in 1 tbsp of the extra-virgin olive oil. Dissolve the yeast in 300ml lukewarm water, pour into the well and quickly mix to a soft dough, adding a splash more warm water if needed. Add the chopped semi-dried tomatoes and knead the dough, on a lightly floured surface, for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Shape into a round and place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the dough with oiled cling film and leave in a warm place for 45 minutes until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Carefully place the dough on a lightly floured baking sheet and roll it out into a large oval (about 35cm x 23cm). Press your fingers all over the dough to make dimples and scatter with the mixed olives, rosemary and garlic. Drizzle with another 1 tbsp of the oil and scatter with sea salt. Cover loosely with lightly oiled cling film and leave to rise for 30 minutes until puffed and doubled in size once more.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool completely, wrap well in baking paper and cling film and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Reheat from frozen, wrapped in foil, for about 20 minutes at 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6, until warmed through. Drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter