Oriental pork cakes
- September 2008
- Makes 16
- Ready in 20 minutes
This spicy pork recipe make a fantastic starter, snack or canapé, and can be frozen in advance.
- 6.7g (1.9g saturated)
- 1.9g (1.3g sugar)
Per pork cake
- 500g pork mince
- 100g good pork sausages, split
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- Splash of fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Sunflower oil, for frying
- Sweet chilli dipping sauce, to serve
- ½ cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
- Little gem lettuce leaves, to serve
- Place the mince, the meat from the sausages (discard the skins), shallots, lemongrass, garlic, lime zest, fish sauce, chilli and coriander in a large bowl with a pinch of salt, black pepper and mix together well with your hands. Or pulse briefly in a food processor until combined.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 16 cakes and chill for 15 minutes or until ready to cook.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and cook the pork cakes, in 2 batches, for 5 minutes each side, until golden. Serve with chilli sauce, the cucumber and lettuce leaves.
The raw pork cakes for up to 3 months. Defrost thoroughly before frying and finishing the recipe.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky Vietnamese pork meatballs with rice noodles and pickled vegetables
Lemongrass, garlic and lime all contribute to the powerful flavour of this Vietnamese pork meatball...
Pork and lemon meatballs with cannellini beans
The cannellini beans in this pork and lemon meatballs dish make it into a quick...