Pan-fried venison with squash and sweet potato
- November 2008
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 min
A quick and easy venison supper that’s packed with seasonal ingredients. Increase the quantities to serve at a dinner party.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 350g pack ready-diced butternut squash and sweet potato
- 15g grated Parmesan or Grana Padano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 venison steaks
- 100ml beef stock (made with ½ stock cube)
- 1 tsp redcurrant jelly
- 300g young spinach
- A handful of vegetable crisps, to serve
- Bring a small pan of salted water to the boil and cook the butternut squash and sweet potato for 8 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash with
- grated Parmesan or Grana Padano and a grinding of black pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Season the venison steaks and pan-fry for 4-5 minutes each side, until medium-rare. Remove and rest for
- 5 minutes
- Pour 100ml beef stock (made with ½ stock cube) into the pan and bubble, scraping the meaty juices off the bottom of the pan, until reduced by half, then stir in 1 tsp redcurrant jelly.
- Pour boiling water over the spinach until wilted. Drain and squeeze out any excess water.
- Slice the venison and serve with the sauce, mashed squash and sweet potato, wilted spinach and a handful of vegetable crisps on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Slow cook recipes
Braised venison with prunes, port and crispy onions
Try this slow-cooked venison recipe – the meat cooks to the softness of butter within...