Venison and apple cheeseburgers
- January 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 10 min
The deep, gamey flavour of venison makes a fantastic substitute to beef in this epic cheeseburger recipe – and is a little bit leaner too. All the more reason to top it with extra cheese!
If you love a burger with a twist, try our Kiwi burgers with pickled beetroot and a fried egg next.
- 27.1g (12.4g saturated)
- 48.1g (13g sugars)
- Light olive or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 6 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 100g eating apple, cored and finely diced
- 300g venison mince
- 2 tbsp English mustard
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 80g fresh breadcrumbs
- 140g mature cheddar, grated
- 4 brioche buns, sliced in half
- Little gem lettuce, mayonnaise and ketchup to serve
- Heat a glug of oil in a large frying pan, then add the onion and fry gently for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the garlic, sage and diced apple and cook for 8-10 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Spoon the onion/apple mixture into a mixing bowl (set the pan aside for later) and add the venison mince, mustard, egg yolk, breadcrumbs and 60g of the grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper, then Use your hands to mix everything together well. Shape into 4 large patties. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Add a little more oil to the frying pan and set over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the burgers and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat and top with the remaining cheddar, then bake in the oven for 10 minutes. (If the pan isn’t ovenproof, first transfer the burgers to a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper.)
- Lightly toast the brioche buns and fill with your choice of sauce, little gem lettuce leaves and the burgers.
Make the burgers up to 48 hours in advance, cover and chill until ready to cook. Or freeze the burgers, individually wrapped, for up to 3 months.
Serve the burgers topped with whatever strong flavoured melty cheeses you have to hand, or try lincolnshire poacher or yarg.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter