Peanut butter sweet potato and spinach curry
- June 2021
- Serves 3-4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Dale Pinnock’s filling curry is packed with peanut butter, sweet potatoes and spinach. Make vegan curry from scratch with just 15 mins prep.
The Medicinal Chef: Plant-Based Diet is out now.
- Vegan recipes
- 9.4g (1.6g saturated)
- 36g (11.9g sugars)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, finely chopped
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2-3 sweet potatoes (about 600g), skin on, chopped into roughly 3cm chunks
- 500ml vegan vegetable stock (you may not need all of this)
- 1 heaped tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 4 handfuls baby leaf spinach
- In a large heavy-based pan set over a medium heat, fry the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in a little oil with a good pinch of salt for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and cinnamon, then fry for 2-3 minutes more until aromatic.
- Add the sweet potatoes and enough vegetable stock to cover the contents of the pan by about two thirds. Simmer over a medium heat for 30-45 minutes, stirring often, until the liquid has reduced right down and the starch has leached from the sweet potatoes to create a thick sauce. It may seem like it’s taking a while but be patient.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in the peanut butter. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the spinach until it wilts, then serve with wholegrain rice, if you’re hungry.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pumpkin and peanut curry
This rich and cream pumpkin curry recipe is a perfect winter warmer. If you can’t...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...