Pearl barley salad
- September 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35-40 min
A wholesome salad recipe full of filling pearl barley and bursts of juicy tomato and salty feta in every bite.
Another good way to use pearl barley is in a risotto, like this mushroom and spinach one.
- 18.7g (5.6g saturated)
- 71.1g (8.3g sugars)
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- Olive oil for drizzling and dressing
- ¼ baguette, torn (it’s fine if it’s a bit stale)
- 250g pearl barley
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 600ml freshly boiled water
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the carrots in a roasting tray with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes until tender and golden. For the final 10 minutes, add the torn baguette and a little more oil; turn the bread after 5 minutes so it’s golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile, put the pearl barley in a large saucepan with the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Cook over a medium-high heat for 25 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and the barley is tender. Tip into a bowl and allow to cool a little.
- While the barley is cooking, prepare a dressing. Mix the lemon zest and juice with 3 tbsp oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir the roasted carrots into the cooled pearl barley, along with the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing and serve with basil sprinkled over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy family meals
Easy leek and kale pearl barley with crispy lardons
Think risotto, then crank things up a notch – this...
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Easy green pearl barley salad with roast parsnips and goat’s cheese
A vegetarian salad recipe, made with pearl barley, parsnips and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter