Pearl barley salad
- September 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35-40 min
A wholesome salad recipe full of filling pearl barley and bursts of juicy tomato and salty feta in every bite.
Another good way to use pearl barley is in a risotto, like this mushroom and spinach one.
- 18.7g (5.6g saturated)
- 71.1g (8.3g sugars)
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- Olive oil for drizzling and dressing
- ¼ baguette, torn (it’s fine if it’s a bit stale)
- 250g pearl barley
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 600ml freshly boiled water
- Zest and juice 1 lemon
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 100g feta, crumbled
- Handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Put the carrots in a roasting tray with a drizzle of oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 35-40 minutes until tender and golden. For the final 10 minutes, add the torn baguette and a little more oil; turn the bread after 5 minutes so it’s golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile, put the pearl barley in a large saucepan with the chicken stock and bring to the boil. Cook over a medium-high heat for 25 minutes or until the stock is absorbed and the barley is tender. Tip into a bowl and allow to cool a little.
- While the barley is cooking, prepare a dressing. Mix the lemon zest and juice with 3 tbsp oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir the roasted carrots into the cooled pearl barley, along with the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing and serve with basil sprinkled over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy family meals
Easy leek and kale pearl barley with crispy lardons
Think risotto, then crank things up a notch – this hearty combination of kale, leeks...
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Easy green pearl barley salad with roast parsnips and goat’s cheese
A vegetarian salad recipe, made with pearl barley, parsnips and goats cheese, is great for...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...