Pepparrotssås (horseradish sauce) with pickled herring and hot-smoked salmon
- March 2018
- Serves 6 as a sharing starter
- 10 min
If you like the fiery heat of horseradish, then you’ll love this easy Scandi-style starter, featuring a creamy sauce topped with hot-smoked salmon, pickled herrings and – if you’re feeling a bit fancy – salmon roe.
- 18.3g (9.5g saturated)
- 5.4g (4.9g sugars)
- 200ml crème fraîche
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 small crushed garlic clove
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 2cm piece grated horseradish root
- 150g pickled herrings and their onions
- hot smoked salmon (we like RR Spink & Sons Sweet Scottish Herring Fillets and Korshags Hot Smoked Salmon, both from Ocado)
- 2 tsp chopped red onion
- Salmon roe (optional)
- Few springs of dill
- Mix the crème fraîche in a bowl with the sugar, salt, garlic, cider vinegar and horseradish root until just combined.
- Spoon onto a plate and top with the pickled herrings and their onions and hot smoked salmon. Sprinkle with chopped red onion, salmon roe and dill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Horseradish pancakes with smoked salmon and dill sauce
Who said pancakes have to be sweet? We’ve added horseradish, smoked salmon and dill to...
Beef carpaccio with pickled beetroot and horseradish
Andy Appleton’s beef carpaccio recipe combines classic flavours that truly complement each other. The pickled...
Horseradish blinis with buttered beetroot and smoked mackerel
These fish blinis are great to serve at a party or as a dinner party...