Peri-peri roast chicken
- November 2016
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 1 hour 35 min
Dare to be different for your next Sunday roast and try your hand at this spicy Portuguese chicken recipe – it’s easy, yet oh-so-satisfying.
How about homemade chips with your chicken?
- 18.4g (3.6g saturated)
- 3.1g (2.8g sugars)
- 2kg free-range whole chicken
- Fresh mint leaves, lemon wedges and steamed rice to serve
For the paste
- 2 red peppers, halved and deseeded
- 5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 3 red chillies (see tips)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 15g bunch fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the peppers in a roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season. Roast for 20-25 minutes until starting to char and soften. Remove and turn the oven down to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Put the roasted peppers into a food processor with the rest of the paste ingredients and whizz to a pulp. Put the chicken into a medium roasting tin that’s not too deep and not too snug – there needs to be plenty of space. Thoroughly coat the chicken in the paste. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and roast for 1 hour 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and piping hot throughout.
- To serve, joint the chicken, legs first then the breasts. Scatter generously with fresh mint, squeeze over lemon wedges and serve with rice.
This paste is quite hot, so use fewer chillies if you prefer less heat. Wear rubber gloves if rubbing the sauce on by hand.
The paste will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 1 week.
Coat the chicken in the paste and chill for up to 48 hours.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Oregano and sage roast chicken legs with tomato, herb and feta bread salad
Meet your new go-to chicken salad – full of fresh...
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with lemon, oregano and olive breadcrumb stuffing
This roast chicken recipe is succulent, full of flavour and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter