- August 2018
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 25-30 min
Pissaladière originates from Nice, Southern France and consists of a flaky pastry tart topped with onions, olives and anchovies. Our version uses ready-rolled puff pastry and can be ready in as little as an hour.
- 12.4g (5.6g saturated)
- 18g (5.8g sugars)
- Oil for frying
- 25g butter
- 900g onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 150g anchovy fillets, drained (available from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose)
- 16 black olives (available from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose), pitted and halved
- Heat the oil and butter in a very large frying pan over a medium heat until bubbling. Add the sliced onions with a pinch of salt and cook for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until completely softened and caramelised.
- Once the onions have caramelised, stir in the thyme leaves and cook for 1 minute more, then transfer to a bowl to cool slightly. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Unroll the puff pastry, still attached to its paper, onto a large baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, score a border 1.5cm from the edge of the pastry. Brush the mustard over the pastry inside the border, then spoon over the onions and spread evenly inside the border. Arrange the anchovies over the onions in a lattice, creating a diamond pattern (see right), then put an olive half in the middle of each diamond. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and crisp, then transfer to a board, scatter with fresh thyme leaves and serve in slices.
If you don’t like anchovies or are veggie, scatter a few sun-blush tomatoes evenly over the onions.
In step 1 it’s important to be patient and make sure the onions don’t burn. They need to turn translucent first before they begin to turn golden.
Make and cook the tart a day ahead, cover well with cling film, then chill. Reheat in a hot oven for 5 minutes to serve.
Salty anchovies in pissaladière call for a cold, pale pink, bone-dry and refreshing rosé from sunny Provence.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter