Pizza style penne with salami crisps
- April 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 min
We’ve taken two popular Italian staples and created this epic pizza-style pasta dish, complete with all the flavours and ingredients that makes the former so special. Penne is stirred through a tomato and mascarpone sauce, then topped with mozzarella, basil and crispy salami.
- 21.3g (8.6g saturated)
- 81.7g (10.7g sugars)
- 400g penne pasta
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 60g spicy salami, roughly chopped (4 slices reserved)
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 2 small anchovy fillets in olive oil, finely chopped
- 1½ x 400g tins chopped tomatoes with basil
- 150ml chicken stock
- 3 tbsp mascarpone
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil, plus extra leaves to serve
- 60g mozzarella, torn
- Cook the penne in a large pan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions, then drain, reserving a cupful of cooking water.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and fry the 4 salami slices for 2-3 minutes until crisp, then transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onion for 7-8 minutes until softening, then add the garlic, capers and anchovies for another minute. Tip in the tomatoes and chicken stock, season well and simmer for 15 minutes, then stir in the mascarpone. Season well and whizz with a stick blender until
smooth (or leave it chunky if you like).
- Add the pasta to the sauce along with a splash of the pasta water and
the salami, then stir until well coated. Stir in the basil and serve with the mozzarella and broken salami crisps, with extra basil.
Next time, instead of salami, use chorizo for added smokiness.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...