Pot-braised chicken and barley
- May 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 2 1/2 hours, plus resting
Save washing-up with this basic, hearty one-pot chicken recipe – it’s full of fragrant herbs, and loads of veg too.
We’ve also got a similar version, Normandy chicken, you might like.
- 15g (5.5 saturated)
- 35.6g (7.9g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 6 banana shallots, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, thickly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 4-5 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 200g pearl barley
- 300ml dry white wine
- 1 litre fresh chicken stock
- 2kg British free-range chicken
- 200g spinach
- 80g full-fat crème fraîche
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Lemon juice to taste
You’ll also need…
- A lidded casserole big enough to hold a chicken
- Heat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas 2. Heat a glug of oil in a large casserole with a lid and add the shallots and carrots. Fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Season with salt and pepper, then add the garlic, thyme and rosemary. Fry for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add the barley, wine and stock, then sit the chicken on top. Cover with the lid (if it doesn’t fit, cover with foil). Put the casserole in the oven for 2 hours 15 minutes, then turn up the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and remove the lid/foil. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is golden.
- Remove the chicken and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes. Joint the bird if you wish. Stir through the spinach, cover and leave for 3-4 minutes until the spinach has wilted. Remove the lid and add the crème fraîche, parsley and lemon juice to taste. Serve the barley with the chicken.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pearl barley recipes
Cider-braised chicken thighs with pearl barley, bacon, carrots and peas
September sees the ripening and falling of cider apples. Here Debbie Major shares her traditionally...
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Braised chicken legs with baby onions, lettuce and peas
This comforting dish is perfect served with a dollop of buttery mashed potatoes – and...
Roast chicken legs with braised little gems, peas and mint
Braising lettuce in salty stock takes it to a whole new level. Serve with crispy-skinned...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...