Pumpkin, kale and feta filo pies
- January 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min. Oven time 25-30 min
These healthy vegetarian pies combine punchy flavours with high-protein foods that will keep you feeling fuller for longer. Your body burns more calories digesting them too.
Sucker for a meat pie? Try our healthier version of the classic chicken and leek pie.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25.7g (9.5g saturated),
- 30.1g (6.8g sugars),
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 leek, white part only (about 50g), sliced (see tip)
- 75g kale, stems removed, finely sliced
- 6 medium free-range eggs
- 200ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- 125g feta, crumbled
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 large filo pastry sheets, cut into 16 x 14cm squares, kept in a folded damp tea towel in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and grease 4 x 12cm individual tart tins. Put the squash on a baking tray, season well and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Toss, then roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile cook the leek in a pan of simmering salted water for 3 minutes. Add the kale leaves and cook for 2 minutes or until softened. Drain well and, when cool, squeeze out any excess liquid with your hands.
- Beat the eggs, milk, grated parmesan, feta and paprika in a bowl and season well. Brush the filo sheets with the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, then stack 4 in each tin, pressing them in well and layering each piece at a slight angle to the previous one to create a star-shaped case. Divide the roasted squash, kale and leek among the pastry cases, then pour over the egg mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set and golden. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and cress, if using, then serve with toasted pumpkin seeds and cress/baby herbs (optional).
Fry the green parts of the leeks in olive oil until crisp, drain on kitchen paper, then sprinkle on top of the tarts.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Vegetarian pie recipes
Tuck into these great vegetarian pies – they're...
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Need some vegetarian recipe inspiration? Our healthy recipes...
Our lower-calorie main course recipes will help you...
Filo pastry recipes
Wonderfully flaky and with a satisfying crunch, filo...