Roast vegetable and houmous pie
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 1 hour in the oven
Crispy puff pastry encases roast vegetables and houmous in this easy-to-make pie that costs less than £5 to make.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 36.9g (13.1g saturated)
- 62.2g (11.6g sugars)
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 50g small broccoli florets
- 1 each red and yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g reduced-fat houmous
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 small sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Mix the onion, broccoli, peppers and courgettes in a roasting tin, tossing well with the cumin seeds and the oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove and mix in the houmous, lemon zest and coriander. Turn the oven down to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cut the pastry in half to make 2 rectangles. Transfer 1 piece to a lined baking sheet and arrange the sweet potato slices in slightly overlapping layers to cover the pastry, leaving a 2cm border. Pile the roasted veg on top of the potatoes and brush the border with the egg glaze.
- Roll the remaining pastry out a little thinner. Drape over the filling, press the pastry edges together to seal and trim away any excess pastry. Egg wash the top and cut 3 diagonal slits in the pastry.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed up. Serve with a dressed mixed salad.
To freeze: freeze at the end of step 3 for up to 3 months. Thaw and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
Calling all vegetarians, this meat-free wellington encased in a chewy brioche crust makes for a...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...