Roast vegetable and houmous pie
- March 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 1 hour in the oven
Crispy puff pastry encases roast vegetables and houmous in this easy-to-make pie that costs less than £5 to make.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 36.9g (13.1g saturated)
- 62.2g (11.6g sugars)
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 50g small broccoli florets
- 1 each red and yellow peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 2 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g reduced-fat houmous
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 375g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 2 small sweet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp milk, for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Mix the onion, broccoli, peppers and courgettes in a roasting tin, tossing well with the cumin seeds and the oil. Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove and mix in the houmous, lemon zest and coriander. Turn the oven down to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cut the pastry in half to make 2 rectangles. Transfer 1 piece to a lined baking sheet and arrange the sweet potato slices in slightly overlapping layers to cover the pastry, leaving a 2cm border. Pile the roasted veg on top of the potatoes and brush the border with the egg glaze.
- Roll the remaining pastry out a little thinner. Drape over the filling, press the pastry edges together to seal and trim away any excess pastry. Egg wash the top and cut 3 diagonal slits in the pastry.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden brown and puffed up. Serve with a dressed mixed salad.
To freeze: freeze at the end of step 3 for up to 3 months. Thaw and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
Calling all vegetarians, this meat-free wellington encased in a chewy brioche crust makes for a...