Raspberry loaf cake
- September 2022
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 35 min
A simple raspberry loaf cake is a beautiful thing – easy to make, easier to eat and ready for whatever flavourful additions you fancy. We’ve opted for raspberries in this recipe, but you could easily swap them out for any other berries and/or chocolate.
Love your loaf cakes? Check out all of our recipes here.
- 23.7g (13.9g saturated)
- 54.6g (35g sugars)
- 200g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 200g raspberries, plus extra to decorate
- 70g icing sugar
You’ll also need…
- 1lb loaf tin (500g loaf tin)
- Heat the oven to 180°C fan/gas 6 and grease and line a 1lb loaf tin with butter and baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with an electric whisk. Add the eggs one at a time, ensuring each one is incorporated before adding the next, then stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, then fold through the mixture followed by 150g of the raspberries. Pour the batter into the lined tin, then bake for 35-40 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, make the icing. Mash together the remaining raspberries with the icing sugar and the lemon juice, then scrape through a fine sieve to remove the seeds. Allow the cake to cool for 5 minutes, then turn it out of the tin and set aside on a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, drizzle over the icing, then decorate with fresh raspberries.
The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to three days. It can be frozen for up to three months. Defrost thoroughly before eating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter