Blueberry sponge slice
- June 2009
- 2 x 225g punnets blueberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 small Madeira cake
- 200g soft cream cheese
- 250g tub mascarpone
- 3 tbsp Marsala, Madeira or sweet sherry
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- Place the blueberries in a pan with the lemon juice and 75g of the icing sugar and heat gently for about 5 minutes or until the blueberries are beginning to burst and you have a lovely sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the Madeira cake lengthways into 3 pieces and arrange in the base of a 25cm x 15cm shallow roasting tin or dish. Spread the blueberries over the top and spoon on the juices to soak into the sponge.
- Place the cream cheese, mascarpone and Marsala and the remaining icing sugar in a bowl and beat together well until smooth. Spread the Marsala cream over the cooled blueberries.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes – this will help it set quickly.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Leftover sponge slices will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Maple syrup fruit sponge puddings
Jamaica ginger cake and a pack of mixed fruit creates this delightful maple syrup fruit...