Blueberry sponge slice
- June 2009
- 2 x 225g punnets blueberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 150g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- 1 small Madeira cake
- 200g soft cream cheese
- 250g tub mascarpone
- 3 tbsp Marsala, Madeira or sweet sherry
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- Place the blueberries in a pan with the lemon juice and 75g of the icing sugar and heat gently for about 5 minutes or until the blueberries are beginning to burst and you have a lovely sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the Madeira cake lengthways into 3 pieces and arrange in the base of a 25cm x 15cm shallow roasting tin or dish. Spread the blueberries over the top and spoon on the juices to soak into the sponge.
- Place the cream cheese, mascarpone and Marsala and the remaining icing sugar in a bowl and beat together well until smooth. Spread the Marsala cream over the cooled blueberries.
- Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes – this will help it set quickly.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Leftover sponge slices will keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Maple syrup fruit sponge puddings
Jamaica ginger cake and a pack of mixed fruit creates this delightful maple syrup fruit...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...