Ratatouille with bacon
- September 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 30 min
Bacon is added to this ratatouille for extra crunch. This recipe is the perfect way to use any leftover vegetables you have, and can be frozen ahead of time.
Or, see our classic vegetarian ratatouille.
- 16.4g (4.3g saturated)
- 18.4g (16.5g sugars)
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- Olive oil
- 1 thickly sliced onion
- 1 roughly chopped large aubergine
- 2 roughly chopped courgettes
- 2 sliced peppers
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh thyme
- Small bunch of fresh basil
- 2x400g tins of plum tomatoes
- 1 tin of water
- 1½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Fry the bacon lardons in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add a glug of olive oil, the onion, aubergine, courgettes and peppers. Fry for 15-20 minutes until soft but not completely cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic cloves, the fresh thyme leaves and the chopped stalks from the basil, then fry for 1 minute. Add the plum tomatoes, water, some salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar; simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the lardons, scatter with basil leaves and serve with mashed potato or crusty bread.
You don’t need to use these exact vegetables. Use up any leftover soft vegetables you have lingering in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ratatouille and paprika pork steaks
Ready in just 20 minutes, this quick and easy pork recipe is an effortless supper...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...