Red onion, sour cherry and pomegranate relish
- December 2019
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 10 min, plus at least 4 hours pickling
A super-simple vegan relish which is bursting with punchy flavours, this is the perfect side dish to add interest to any spread.
Or go for a meatier recipe with this beetroot and smoked bacon relish.
- Vegan recipes
- 0.2g (trace saturated)
- 14.3g (12.5g sugars)
- 3 tbsp caster sugar,
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 75ml pomegranate juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sliced red onions
- 170g frozen mixed berries and cherries
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp freshly ground pink or regular peppercorns
- Put 3 tbsp caster sugar, 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses, 150ml red wine vinegar, 75ml pomegranate juice and 1 tsp salt in a pan over a medium-high heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Put 2 sliced red onions and 170g frozen mixed berries and cherries in a heatproof bowl or large Kilner jar. Add 1 tsp coriander seeds and ½ tsp freshly ground pink or regular peppercorns.
- Pour over the hot pickling liquid, then set aside for a few hours (or longer; see Make Ahead). Serve the relish in a bowl with cured meats, pâté or the cheeseboard.
The relish will keep in an airtight jar or container somewhere cool for up
to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot and smoked bacon relish
Leigh Norton’s beetroot and smoked bacon relish goes perfectly with his slow-cooked pork belly. Combine...