Red pepper and aubergine dip
- August 2006
- Serves 8
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 20-25 minutes on the barbecue
This summery vegetarian dip recipe is full of the flavours of the Mediterranean. Serve with pitta bread and plenty of crudités.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.7g (2.9g saturated)
- 51.1g (11.1g sugar)
- 4 aubergines
- 4 red peppers
- Oil, for brushing
- 4 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- Good handful roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 8 pitta breads, to serve
- Light the barbecue. Lightly brush the aubergines and peppers with oil. Place over a direct medium heat, close the lid and barbecue for 20-25 minutes, turning once, until blackened and tender (or cook under a hot grill). Remove and set the aubergines aside to cool slightly. Put the peppers in a plastic food bag, seal and cool for 15 minutes.
- When the aubergines are cool enough to handle, halve lengthways and scoop the flesh into a food processor. Discard the skins. Halve, deseed, de-stalk and peel the peppers, then add to the food processor with the garlic, cumin, paprika, lemon juice and seasoning. Whizz to a purée. Add the yogurt and coriander and whizz briefly. Check the seasoning.
- Sear the pittas on the barbecue for 1-2 minutes. Cut each pitta into strips and serve warm with the dip.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spaghetti with butternut squash and aubergine pesto
This simple spaghetti with butternut squash and aubergine pesto dish combines the vegetables with Parmesan...
Cumin seed flatbreads
Make these homemade flatbreads, flavoured with cumin seeds, and use them to serve with salads,...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...