Red pepper and aubergine dip
- August 2006
- Serves 8
- Takes 35 minutes to make, 20-25 minutes on the barbecue
This summery vegetarian dip recipe is full of the flavours of the Mediterranean. Serve with pitta bread and plenty of crudités.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.7g (2.9g saturated)
- 51.1g (11.1g sugar)
- 4 aubergines
- 4 red peppers
- Oil, for brushing
- 4 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- Good handful roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 8 pitta breads, to serve
- Light the barbecue. Lightly brush the aubergines and peppers with oil. Place over a direct medium heat, close the lid and barbecue for 20-25 minutes, turning once, until blackened and tender (or cook under a hot grill). Remove and set the aubergines aside to cool slightly. Put the peppers in a plastic food bag, seal and cool for 15 minutes.
- When the aubergines are cool enough to handle, halve lengthways and scoop the flesh into a food processor. Discard the skins. Halve, deseed, de-stalk and peel the peppers, then add to the food processor with the garlic, cumin, paprika, lemon juice and seasoning. Whizz to a purée. Add the yogurt and coriander and whizz briefly. Check the seasoning.
- Sear the pittas on the barbecue for 1-2 minutes. Cut each pitta into strips and serve warm with the dip.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Salt beef eggs benedict with potato farls and mustard hollandaise
We’ve taken the classic brunch dish up a notch. Potato farls are topped with salt...
Easy home-cured pastrami
This recipe for pastrami uses a dry salt rub to ‘cure’ the beef before smoking...