Spaghetti with butternut squash and aubergine pesto
- September 2007
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 35 minutes in the oven
This simple spaghetti with butternut squash and aubergine pesto dish combines the vegetables with Parmesan to make a gorgeous Italian-style dish.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 54.9g fat (11.7g saturated)
- 90.8g carbs, 12.4g sugars
- 400g dried spaghetti
- Handful chopped fresh parsley
For the pesto
- 1 small butternut squash, deseeded and cubed
- 150ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 small aubergine
- 115g vegetarian Parmesan, grated, plus extra shavings to garnish
- 1 fat garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 75g pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ fan180C/gas 6. Put the squash in a large roasting tin, drizzle with a little oil, season and toss together. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Prick the aubergine a few times with a fork, then rub all over with a little more oil. Add to the roasting tin – push the squash to one side – and roast for a further 25 minutes, until the vegetables are nice and soft.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions, until al dente. Drain well and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, chop the aubergine – you can strip off the skin if you like, but I prefer to leave it on. Put into a food processor or blender with the squash, Parmesan, garlic and pine nuts. Blend until smooth, then, with the motor running, slowly add the oil until you have a thick sauce-like pesto – you might not need to add all the oil. Season with black pepper.
- Toss the pesto through the pasta, then divide between serving bowls. Scatter with extra Parmesan shavings and the chopped parsley to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato, aubergine, courgette and mozzarella tagliatelle
Eat in Italian style with this easy vegetarian pasta recipe with seasonal vegetables. This can...