Reuben-style roast beef bagel
- March 2021
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Make this Reuben-style roast beef bagel the Monday after your Sunday roast for a lip-smacking lunch made with leftover beef. This is one working from home lunch that packs a bit of a calorie punch, but boy, is it good.
- 25.1g (12.7g saturated)
- 40.9g (5.3g sugars)
- 1 bagel, halved
- 50g swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 100g roast beef, thinly sliced (we used leftover roast topside of beef)
- 50g sauerkraut, drained – we used Raw Vibrant Living Classic Organic Sauerkraut
- Small pinch caraway seeds, lightly crushed (optional)
For the Russian dressing
- 1 cornichon, finely chopped
- ½ shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tsp horseradish sauce or cream
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash smoked hot sauce (optional)
- Pinch hot paprika
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the russian dressing until well combined. Set aside.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Toast the bagel, then spread the bottom half of the bagel with a generous helping of the russian dressing. Top with the cheese and put back under the grill for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Working quickly while the bread is still hot and the cheese melted, pile on the roast beef, followed by the sauerkraut. Sprinkle with a few caraway seeds (if using) and a little more russian dressing, if you like. Put the bagel lid on top and eat straightaway, fingers dripping with oozing loveliness.
The dressing will keep chilled for several days. It goes well with anything from boiled new potatoes to baked salmon.
Sauerkraut comes in two varieties – pasteurised and raw. The former undergoes heat treatment to create a shelf-stable product; find it alongside other condiments in most supermarkets. Raw kraut has probiotic properties; find it in the chilled section of health food stores and some supermarkets.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter