Rich lamb shank pasties
- November 2008
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, about 2¾ hours to cook, plus cooling
Here’s a twist on a traditional Cornish pasty, and proof that you can use lamb shanks in a different way. With its rich, sticky texture, lamb shank is the perfect filling for this lamb pasties recipe. Use shop-bought puff pastry to keep it simpler.
- 42.9g (16.6g saturated)
- 54.4g (5g sugar)
- 2 level tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 small lamb shanks
- 2 tbsp lard, duck fat or dripping
- 2 leeks, washed and diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 small-medium turnips, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 level tsp tomato purée
- 1 level tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1-1.25 litres chicken stock, hot
- Small bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 x 500g packs puff pastry
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- Put the flour in a shallow bowl, season and add the lamb. Turn to coat. Heat the fat in a large casserole over a low heat and brown the shanks all over. Remove and set aside.
- Stir the vegetables into the remaining fat and juices in the casserole. Add the bay leaf, purée and vinegar and mix well. Return the lamb to the casserole and pour in the stock. Cover and simmer for at least 2 hours, until the meat is falling off the bone. Check the seasoning. Allow the casserole to cool. Strain the liquid and discard, then cut the meat into chunky pieces. Put in a bowl and mix with the vegetables and mint.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/ gas 4. Divide each block of pastry into 4 pieces. Lightly flour a work surface and roll each piece to 20cm round x 5mm thick. Brush the bases with egg. Divide the mixture between each pastry. Pull the sides into the middle and crimp the pastry at the join. Brush the pastry with egg.
- Put on a baking tray lined with baking paper and bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with redcurrant jelly, pickle or chutney.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...