Roast brussels sprouts with caramelised onions and baked eggs
- November 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 35-40 min
Roast brussels sprouts become a brunch dish extraordinaire with caramelised onions, smoked paprika, dill and eggs; this is a one-pan dish which makes sense to make any time of year.
We’ve also got a whole collection dedicated to Brussels sprouts, if you’re looking for more recipes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13.4g (3.3g saturated)
- 6.8g (5.2g sugars)
- 2 medium onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch caster sugar
- 500g brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved if large
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves stripped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
- Knob of butter
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Bunch fresh dill, finely chopped
- Buttered sourdough toast to serve
- Heat the oven to 210°C/190°C fan/gas 6½. Put the onions in a large roasting tin, then toss with a drizzle of olive oil and a generous pinch each of sugar and salt. Roast for 10-15 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Scatter the sprouts over the onions in the tin, then mix in the garlic, rosemary, thyme, fennel seeds, the smoked paprika and another drizzle of olive oil. Season with ground black pepper, then return to the oven for 20 minutes, turning occasionally, until the sprouts are tender and turning golden in parts.
- Remove the sprout tin from the oven, then stir in the butter. Use a spatula to make 4 rough wells in the sprouts and onions, then crack in the eggs. Return to the oven for 6-8 minutes more until the eggs are just cooked to your liking. Remove the tray from the oven, scatter over the chopped dill and a pinch more of the smoked paprika, give everything a final seasoning of salt and pepper, then serve with buttered sourdough toast.
A malty ale with a slightly caramelised flavour, or a buttery Aussie chardonnay.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and orange herb butter
Banish soggy sprouts from your memory forever with this simple and flavoursome brussels sprouts recipe...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...