Roast carrot, beetroot and marjoram salad with fennel seed and yogurt dressing
- June 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 45 min, oven 50 min
Gently roasting carrots intensifies their sweet flavour. Tossed with fresh herbs and tangy dressing, they’re the star of the show in Gill Meller’s salad recipe.
- 11g (1.9g saturated)
- 20.6g (19.3g sugars)
- 12 small carrots, tops still attached
- 8 small beetroot (about 600g)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 6 bay leaves
- Small bunch fresh marjoram (or sprinkle with 1/2 tbsp dried marjoram)
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon and juice 1/2
- 150ml natural yogurt
- 2 tsp fennel seeds, toasted in a dry pan
- Small pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- Small handful fennel tops (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Cut the tops off the carrots (I like to leave a 2-3cm green stem) and discard. Scrub the veg under a cold running tap. Cut the carrots in half lengthways, if they’re big, and halve the beetroot. Put in a large roasting tin. Drizzle with half the olive oil, dot with the bay leaves, tear over the marjoram and sprinkle with the lemon zest. Season well with sea salt and pepper, then roast for 45-50 minutes until the beetroot are tender and the carrots are lightly caramelised and soft.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine the yogurt with the lemon juice, remaining olive oil, toasted fennel seeds, chilli flakes and 1 tbsp of the honey. Mix well.
- Arrange the roasted veg on a platter and spoon over the yogurt dressing. Finish with a scattering of fennel tops, if using, the remaining honey and a drizzle of olive oil.
Make the dressing up to 48 hours in advance and keep in a sealed container in the fridge. Roast the veg for 30 minutes up to 12 hours in advance. Before serving, roast for an extra 15-20 minutes until cooked through, golden and hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter