Roast rib of beef with a golden crust
- December 2019
- Serves 8 (with leftovers)
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 1½-2½ hours, plus resting
This stunning rib of beef is roasted in a golden crust of horseradish, mustard, ginger and brown sugar. It requires very little work too for such spectacular results.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 11g (4.2g saturated)
- 2.6g (2.4g sugars)
Per 150g serving
- 3-bone forerib dry-aged British grass-fed beef (around 4-5kg), at room temperature
For the crust
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp grated horseradish root or Tracklements horseradish sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
You’ll also need…
- Digital probe thermometer
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Roast the beef in a large roasting tin for 30 minutes.
- Mix the crust ingredients in a bowl. Remove the beef from the oven and turn to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 3½. Spread the crust paste over the beef and season well. Roast for 1-2 hours more until a digital probe thermometer reads 55°C for medium-rare or 60°C for medium (push it into the centre). Once it reaches 40°C, the temperature will rise quickly, so keep checking. When the beef is cooked to your liking, remove from the oven and leave to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour, covered loosely with foil. Serve with roasties and your choice of veg.
Our rib of beef came from The Ginger Pig (thegingerpig.co.uk). Visit their online shop or find a good local butcher. At Christmas, it’s best to pre-order.
Rate & review