Roast turkey crown with lemon, parsley and thyme
- January 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 min, cook time approximately 2 hours, plus 20 min resting time
Our turkey crown recipe, using the turkey breast, is made with lemon and parsley and comes served with a white wine gravy.
- Zest of 1 lemon
- A small handful chopped fresh parsley and thyme
- 150g softened butter
- A turkey crown breast
- 6 fresh bay leaves
- 6 balls of stuffing
- 6 slices of bacon
- 12 chipolatas
For the gravy
- A splash of white wine
- A tub of fresh gravy
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Beat the grated zest of 1 lemon, a small handful chopped fresh parsley and thyme into 150g softened butter.
- Weigh the turkey crown breast and calculate the cooking time at 36 minutes per kg.
- Spread the flavoured butter over the turkey, put on a rack and rest over a roasting tin. Season, then loosely cover with foil.
- Roast for 30 minutes of the calculated cooking time, then reduce the temperature to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5 and cook for the remaining time – uncover the turkey for the last 30 minutes.
- Baste the turkey regularly.
- Thread the roll of bacon, bay leaf, the ball of stuffing and 2 chipolatas onto a skewer (1 skewer per guest). Roast alongside the turkey for the last 30 minutes.
- Rest the turkey for 20 minutes.
- Serve with the skewers, gravy and sauces, tangerine halves and parsley and thyme to garnish.
- For the gravy. Drain off all the fat from the roasting tin and sizzle what’s left on the hob with a splash of white wine. Add a tub of fresh gravy. Heat through and serve with the turkey.
Cooking a good turkey can be a challenge – the breasts tend to dry out before the legs are done which can lead to disaster on the big day. So to make sure your Christmas runs like a dream, this recipe keeps things basic. Butter adds delicious moisture and a creamy taste, while the lemon, parsley and thyme add a herbal infusion.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast turkey crown with pancetta, date and sage stuffed legs
Our roast turkey crown with stuffed legs is a clever way to cook your turkey...