Turkey crown with orange and herb butter
- January 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make and about 2 1/4 hours to roast
Got a smaller group of people for Christmas this year? Use this shortcut Christmas recipe using a turkey crown and ready-to-roast potatoes for a fuss-free dinner for six.
Pull together a stress-free festive menu with our Christmas recipes for six.
- 125g softened butter
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Finely chopped leaves from 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- Leaves from 2 thyme sprigs
- A turkey crown (about 2.4kg)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 800g ready-to-roast potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Mix the butter with the orange zest, rosemary leaves, thyme leaves and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place the turkey crown on a board. Lift up the skin from the neck end and slide your fingers underneath – keep the skin attached at the sides and be careful not to rip it. Work the herb butter under the skin. Weigh the turkey, calculating 20 minutes per kg plus 70 minutes (so for this turkey, it will be 2 hours). Put into a large roasting tin, rub with sunflower oil and season well. Cover with foil and roast for 1½ hours.
- Uncover the turkey and baste with the cooking juices. Discard most of the remaining cooking juices and fat from the tin. Dot the ready-to-roast potatoes around the turkey and roast for 30 minutes, until cooked through and golden. Lift the turkey onto a board, cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7 and cook the potatoes for a further 15-20 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Carve the turkey and serve with the potatoes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast turkey crown with pancetta, date and sage stuffed legs
Our roast turkey crown with stuffed legs is a clever way to cook your turkey...
More food for thought...
Christmas turkey recipes
The showstopper of Christmas Day is always the...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Make-ahead Christmas starters
Need a festive head-start? Don't we all. Here's...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Whether you call it Christmas dinner or lunch...
Take your pick from our best gravy recipes,...